Strategic Plan 2018-2023
We made a considerable step towards our future development.
We are proud to present our Strategic Plan for 2018-2023. It is an ambitious plan focusing on the need for high quality translations and terminology activities within the Armed Forces of Ukraine.
The Plan expresses our visions and aspirations for the future and outlines the concept of our work for the next 5 years.
Strategic Plan will assist our organization to capitalize on the unique qualities and functions. It is a living document that will be updated in the course of reaching the set goals, the constantly changing conditions and evolvement of ongoing tasks.
Strategic vision for 2018-2023
LRDD's main mission is to provide the Armed Forces of Ukraine (AFU) with high-quality translation, terminology management and other linguistic services.
By making information available we enable the AFU to more effectively communicate with EU and NATO representatives and make the AFU more strong, transparent and interoperable.
We aspire to be the hub for all translation and terminology activities at the AFU and a full partner in the legislative and communication processes, while contributing to achieve required defence capabilities.
LRDD plays a central role in multilingual communication and military cooperation of AFU as it delivers equally authentic language versions of the all documents proposed and adopted by the authority of AFU. LRDD endeavors to ensure that all language versions convey the same meaning so that texts can be interpreted and applied in a uniform way and produce the same legal effect. LRDD thus contributes to the legitimacy and transparency of the law-making process.
In terminology operating context LRDD is:
- main organization on the standardization in military sphere – «Administration, linguistic support and military terminology» (order of Minister of Defence of Ukraine # 450 as of August 22, 2017);
- leading organization responsible for developing, functioning and filling of information resource of standardized military terminology in the AFU (order of Minister of Defence of Ukraine # 481 as of September 15, 2016).
- main expert body in AFU for linguistic expertise of bilingual military standards (order of Minister of Defence of Ukraine # 481 as of September 15, 2016)
The trend over the past 3 years has been a clear overall increase in demand for translation. The need for bilingual digital content has also become more prominent.
LRDD therefore faces the following challenges:
- Meet the translation and editing needs of the AFU in a context of decreasing resources, while continuing to provide high quality translation and language services;
- Adopt, harmonize and standardize Ukrainian military terminology with NATO terminology;
- Develop a forward-looking IT architecture to underpin its core business;
- Implement succession planning and HR policy within its constraints of structure and location.